Wednesday 30 November 2011

Giving hope to the poor

Following my meeting a few weeks ago with Eurovangelism, who are working in Albania, it was good to receive their colourful newsletter, Rise.

I was delighted to see that the Operations Manager, Sally Bertram, pictured below, had written about her visit to Albania this year, the 20th anniversary of the fall of communism there.


She writes: “In September 1991 Mission Possible Albania, a national charity whom Eurovangelism supports, started life, distributing literature about Jesus to a thirsty nation.

“But whilst Albania has enjoyed the fastest growth rate of Christianity in Europe over the last two decades, physical poverty is still extreme, and Albania remains the second poorest country in Europe.

“Sections of the community continue to suffer the weight of corruption and lack of opportunity that comes with a country in transition.”

One of the places Mission Possible Albania works in is Bathore, a shanty town on the outskirts of the capital, Tirana, where programmes are run in the Hope Centre.

Local people come there to learn how to care for their families, gain a basic education or are given vocational training, receive physical aid when available and learn more about God’s love.

It is estimated that up to 50,000 people live in Bathore, most of who are unemployed.

Sally said that when she visited Bathore she met Rufia, pictured below, who told her story.


Rufia said: “Before I went to the church at the Hope Centre I suffered a lot. I would go inside so the children could not see me and I just cried.

She said she cried out: “How am I going to raise my kids? My husband is jobless and drinks.”  

Rufia was given Harvest for the Hungry food parcels by the charity, which she brought home and gave to her children.

Now she says: “Today it’s like God has come to visit my home, and I would like to share my troubles and worries with the God who has visited today.

“I’ve learnt how to hope and pray in the Hope Centre.

“I thank God who has given me life. And, we are so happy we can know God now because we didn’t have this opportunity before, under communism.

“Now my soul is full.”

For more information visit www.eurovangelism.org.uk 

No comments:

Post a Comment